irc.perl.org - Channels
This is by no means an exhaustive list. Channels are added here at the request of their founders and maintainers as a courtesy.
The following channels are the "official" channels of their project. They may have presences on other networks as well but this is their home.
- #act - Discussion about Act (A Conference Toolkit), a multilingual, template-driven, multi-conference web site that can manage the users, talks, schedule and payment for your conference.
- #catalyst - Home of Catalyst, the Elegant MVC Web Framework
- #dbix-class - Home of DBIx::Class, an object<->relational mapper library. Also often a good place for general ORM discussion (the authors of a number of other perl ORMs hang out in there as well)
- #distzilla - Dist::Zilla
- #dancer - Dancer, a lightweight yet powerful web application framework
- #devel-repl - Devel::REPL
- #email - Home of the Perl Email Project, a community dedicated to making Perl the best-choice language for email processing. See http://emailproject.perl.org.
- #fnargh - simple, sensible, reasonable and minimal blogging
- #form-sensible - simple, intuitive, and extensible form framework
- #io-async - IO::Async - Asynchronous event-driven programming
- #local-lib - local::lib
- #net-twitter - the Perl interface to Twitter
- #metacpan - MetaCPAN, the web site and its API
- #mojo - The Mojolicious web framework
- #moose - Moose, a postmodern object system for Perl 5
- #padre - Padre, the Perl IDE
- #parrot - Home of parrot development. See http://parrotcode.org
- #perl-qa - #perl-qa exists to discuss quality assurance in Perl, both in the core and elsewhere. The channel is usually quiet, but there are occasional and very useful questions and discussions about testing.
- #perlfr - Channel for French speaking mongers. See http://www.mongueurs.net
- #plack - PSGI and its implementations (servers, middlewares...): Plack, ...
- #poe - Home of POE, the Perl Object Environment - http://poe.perl.org
- #pound-perl.pm - IRC Perl Mongers administrative channel. See http://pound-perl.pm.org
- #reflex - Reflex is a modern, fast OO library for writing reactive (AKA event-driven) systems.
- #rt - Home of development for Request Tracker. See http://bestpractical.com/rt
- #soc-help - Summer of Code help. See http://groups.google.com/group/tpf-gsoc-students
- #spore - SPORE (specifications to a portable REST environment) and its implementations (Net::HTTP::Spore...)
- #toolchain - the CPAN toolchain: ExtUtils::MakeMaker, Module::Build, CPAN, cpanm, CPANPLUS...
- #win32 - Perl on Microsoft Windows: StrawberryPerl, ActivePerl and issues with CPAN modules
Not-So Official Channels
The following channels are either not associated with a specific project or are not the official home of anyone except perhaps the miscreants that inhabit them. They did, however, ask to be listed here. Who are we to refuse them?
- #perl - #perl is a hangout for members of the Perl community. It is not representative of the perl community as a whole, nor is it the only place that the Perl community calls home. Topics range from Perl, perl internals, c, random philosophy, LOST, hatred of our jobs, etc. Most anything goes. That said, this is not the place to ask newbie perl questions. More advanced questions may be entertained but perl newbies are better served elsewhere. See the FAQ for some suggested destinations. As noted in the FAQ, #perl can be a rough place and isn't recommended for people prone to stress related breakdowns, the Amish, or anyone who owns a Chevy Impala. - See also pound.perl.org